Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Postscript: The Fifth Element in the Work Universe


My post earlier this week was about four hard-learned lessons from 40 years in the workplace, sort of a 532-word survival guide.

But, as I reflected, I realized there can be as much sun as shadow in the office … and I’m not talking about windows (though they are highly coveted among government workers). Light and warmth brings me to the fifth element, which you can pursue or luck into. 

And, like in the science fiction movie starring Bruce Willis, the fifth element can seem like a visitor from another world or some other rare species.

What is it?

A great boss.

What makes a boss great?  Here’s how an article on the job search website Monster.com defines it.

My definition is briefer. A great boss challenges you, supports and enables your growth, takes responsibility and knows that growth in the workplace, like baseball, is not error-free (note to reader:  if you mess up, fess up). To extend the sports analogy, a great boss coaches you privately and recognizes you publicly. Loudspeakers are nice.

All of which can come together to make the employee (almost) be willing to walk on hot coals for the boss.

Why are these bosses so few and far between?  Lack of good training, yes. But it also takes interpersonal skills and intrapersonal knowledge. But, most importantly, it takes a desire to develop and support people. And, that, gentle leader, takes time – time to learn and time, a lot of time out of the day, to do the right things by and for your people. Such as listening. As my mother says, “listening to hear.”

This is the boss, the great boss, I had at my last job, which made retirement even more bittersweet.  My hope is that Congress gets its financial act together and my retirement opens a spot so a young person can learn, thrive, contribute to the mission, and have fun. 

It can, and does, happen.  

I know.  Thanks Boss!


No comments:

Post a Comment