Monday, September 16, 2013

Four Lessons in Forty Years



I wanted to post this on Labor Day, a timely day to reflect on work, but a few moving boxes were in the way.  The delay did give me the opportunity to read a great article by Peggy Klaus in the Sept. 15, 2013, The New York Times about the wisdom and value of older workers.

As a recently retired older worker, I like to think I’ve gained some wisdom about the world of work. My philosophy falls somewhere between Thomas Edison and Steve Jobs. Edison purportedly wrote,  “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” In short, work means work.

On the other hand, there’s Steve Jobs for whom work was play, serious play, and he loved, if that word is strong enough, what he did.  Eric Jackson led with that in his January 22, 2013, Forbes article “The Ten Life Lessons from Steve Jobs We Should Never Forget.”

I only have four lessons.

(1)         There is always a boss.  And, that boss always has a boss, which means at times your boss’s motivation won’t be clear, but it could have to do with his/her boss.  Even though my grandfather said that, “They say and I heard are the two biggest liars in the world,” they are absolutely right when they say that people don’t leave organizations, they leave bosses.  I’ve done that. Twice. Before I was able to find a new job I learned it was really helpful to learn to say, “What a great idea; wish I’d thought of it.”
(2)         Learn how to be a subordinate, but don’t subordinate yourself. A boss needs to know that you know he/she is the boss.  Then, the boss will be more likely to support you and your work once the rules of the game are understood.  Yet, you do not have to subordinate yourself, your personality, or your quirks.  Well, it depends on the quirks.  I frequently wore Aloha shirts at my last job.
(3)         With apologies to Robert Fulghum, I learned a lot that proved to be helpful in the workplace from PTA. I could have skipped all those meetings and picked up those pointers from Kenny Rogers. You know the lyrics about holding them, folding them, and walking away. Sometimes you walk away from a job, a dream project, or a great idea. Other times, everything will break your way.  Those breaking good times are truly sweet.
(4)         You can be a leader whatever your position.  It’s not the title. It’s your influence and having your opinion respected and your ideas heard. That comes from knowing the business and knowing your job. It also comes from being a good colleague. Say thank you, early and often.  Give other people credit. The people who need to know about your contributions will know. They’ll also see you as that all-important team player. And, the people you recognize will be more likely to help you the next time you need them.

Yes, earning a living is work.  It can be hard. It can also be a world of fun, which I’ve been fortunate to experience at several stops on my 40-year journey to retirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment