Thursday, October 3, 2013

P is for Pause


There is no operator’s manual for retirement.

Ralph Warner’s Get a Life (Nolo Press, 2004, 5th edition) comes darn close. My copy is a gift from a dear friend who taught retirement planning. There’s only one chapter on the crucial topic of financial planning; the other chapters cover equally vital subjects:  health and fitness, the importance of family and friends, and pursuing personal interests.

Jeff gave me the book several years before I was even eligible to retire. My husband was doing a great job with financial planning, I had health and fitness pretty well covered, and we chose to move down the street from dear friends.

I turned my attention to pursuing personal interests. What would fill my days with as much focus and fun as work and colleagues?

What could come close?

I chose the letter P. After all, it took care of writing (prose), which had provided so much satisfaction and a living for so many years.  The 16th letter also covered many activities and interests: pedaling my bicycle, paddling (the kayak I want to buy), re-learning photography, local politics, piano lessons, Pilates, and spending time with my puppy.

Wasn’t this enough Ps for a plan?

Nearly two months after leaving work for the last time, I find myself adrift. Sure, there’s plenty to do.  I hadn’t realized how much was involved with relocation. That’s another P:  packing and unpacking.

I also had no idea of the time and energy and focus that it takes to help a spouse recover from surgery. He is my priority.

I need to shift gears. Neutral would be nice. I need to accept that retirement will mean redefinition and it’s okay, even necessary, to take time for reflection.

Here’s a new P word for my list:  Pause. 

P is for puppy

No comments:

Post a Comment