Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Syntax, Semantics, and Style -- Finding My Voice


I worried I wouldn’t be able to find it. After all, I’d ghostwritten for a baker’s dozen of clients over 35 years.  Among others, I’d written for lawyers, a baggage handler turned airline executive, an Italian-American former NYC cop, a female executive from the deep (really deep) South, and most intimidating yet, a former English teacher. I’d written for people twice my age, with far more life experience, and then for those nearly half my age where I held the life experience advantage.

I knew my clients’ preferences and priorities. How one always inserted “you know” every few paragraphs and specifically requested it appear in the prepared text.  (It sounded fine delivered.) How another liked quotations. Lots of them. From current to historical figures. Another client liked stories – meaty and metaphorical stories. Still another client liked both quotations and stories and a big theme with bold use of repetition.

For my first client, a Harvard-educated lawyer, I spent long summer drives listening to recordings (audiocassettes!) of his speeches to learn his voice. 

To capture a voice, you must hear it.

For subsequent clients, it came easier, but always required access.  (Yes, gatekeepers, here comes that pesky writer again.) Two minutes face to face with a client and well-chosen questions such as, “What do you want the audience to think when you leave the room?” could replace hours of recordings and easily replace many minutes with minions.

It’s been a privilege to help leaders articulate and advocate their policies.

Still, I worried about the solo scribe in the windowless room. (Yes, dear managers, writers, like plants, need daylight.)

What would the scribe say if she had a platform? Would she say anything? Did she have anything to say?

I may have completed one journey – moving 400 miles away from 40 years of personal history. As for that other journey of finding my voice.  Why, it is just beginning.

Daylight and inspirational scenery on my bike commute.

No comments:

Post a Comment