Tuesday, September 23, 2014

My Next Project

I am wonderful. I can do no wrong, no matter what I do or say. I am smart, witty, sweet, and every other flattering adjective you can imagine.

On whose authority do I say this?

My dog’s, of course.

Piper, who is approaching age 13, or age 65, according to the online conversion calculator, knows all things. Can’t you just see the wisdom in those near Medicare-eligible eyes?

I admit. I am as smitten with Piper as she is with me. She is inarguably the world’s best dog. My husband is my best friend. Piper is president of my fan club (see first paragraph).

This week’s blog entry was going to be about the interpersonal dynamics of volunteer organizations, more appropriate to a blog called Retirement and Relocation since so many retirees volunteer. But, writing about the world’s finest canine companion is a far more pleasing topic.

No one, at least no one who knows Piper, can dispute that.

On that other topic, it’s challenging to work with people, no matter the setting. Yes, volunteer work can be extremely gratifying because you are working for a cause or a belief. But, then, that only makes the stakes higher.

Speaking of stakes, Piper loves steaks and all treats and anything our neighbor gives her. Fortunately, she grew out of her Styrofoam peanut phase.

A new favorite, among many favorites, is ground up chicken parts from  a vendor at the local farmer’s market. I gave her some one morning; she now expects it, no, in her Chessie way, demands it, every morning.

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers are insistent and vocal. I cannot begin to spell the ah-roooooooo noise I hear if moving too slowly when getting the ground chicken. Usually, as you can see, she cooperates when I ask her to pose, but ah-rooing on demand for a video to capture the sound, that’s where the stubbornness of her breed comes in.

I tried. I will try again. And, she will refuse again.

Thirteen years ago when Piper joined our family we heard the saying, “You tell a Golden Retriever what to do; you ask a Lab; and you negotiate with a Chessie.”

Piper and my husband and Piper and I have had many negotiations. But, “Will work for food,” is usually effective.  When she and I were younger, Pup-Peroni treats helped her learn the agility course. Turns out the handler needs to be agile, too. We should have done our coursework when we were both younger.

Now, in our “golden” years, our walks are shorter, naps more frequent. We sit and savor more. In good weather and warm water, I take her to the nearby lake for
hydrotherapy for her atrophied muscles. Still, she remains my shadow, resting nearby as I work or waiting just inside the door when I am out.

There are so many great essays, books, and quotations about dogs. I like this one from Arthur Conan Doyle, whose fictional detective had remarkable powers of perception:  “A dog reflects the family life. Whoever saw a frisky dog in a gloomy family, or a sad dog in a happy one? Snarling people have snarling dogs, dangerous people have dangerous ones.”

Mr. Doyle, dog lovers know their animal companions can lift gloom. And, Piper helps complete us. Look at all those therapy dogs visiting hospitals, special needs centers, and nursing homes.

This time last year, I was coming home to an empty house. My husband was in the hospital recovering from surgery, the neighbors with the treats were keeping Piper.

My worries were heavy as I fetched Piper, but my mood lifted. I had a constant and loyal companion who is confident that I am remarkable and worthy. And, yes, I know other people have dogs who are also wonderful. But, Piper is the best.

There is more to this story, however. It’s not all about devotion. I need to get more serious about following the advice on those cards and stickers and try to become the person my dog thinks I am.



Dedicated to Galahad, a best friend's best friend.



No comments:

Post a Comment