Sunday, September 7, 2014

Good Beds, Dear Friends, and New Abbreviations

I write this at the ocean’s edge. I kidnapped my husband and we drove due east so he and I could savor sounds and scents and his birthday gift from the sea.

View from the deck at Topsail Island, North Carolina

          While our oceanfront quarters are modest, the view from our picture window is spectacular. The sounds, wave after wave after wave, are glorious. At high tide, shorebirds are steps away. Inside, importantly for we senior citizens, the beds are firm.

         This is important. Good beds and good sleep are essential. And thoughts of beds quickly take me to what having quality beds can bring.

         Last year, when we furnished our new home we deliberately purchased good beds for the guest rooms. We wanted guests to enjoy their stays. Yes, hospitality includes food and drink, but it also includes a good night’s sleep.

         The word must be out on the beds, or on my southern-style breakfasts, or maybe on the conceit a recent guest and I cooked up (after I lost a string of Scrabble games) that guests at our home always win at their favorite games.

          Invariably the guests win. Grits and country sausage must be the breakfast of champions.

Breakfast of Champions
Whatever the reason, we’ve had a steady flow of guests. I hope it continues. It’s wonderful to see dear friends and have time, over more than one meal, to get caught up and reconnect.

In a year of visitors I’ve learned that each one brings his or her gifts. Sometimes, the gifts are literal, like the bags of Trader Joe’s treasures one girlfriend brought. She knows I miss not having a TJ’s within range.

Other guests bring music. Fellow communicators bring lively discussions about our shared craft and suggestions for the speechwriting class I am to teach in the spring. Longtime friends bring shared relationships and common experiences. Newer friends broaden my horizons and bring important lessons about simple pleasures.

Another visitor, from a place with grace in its name, brings that quality every time she walks into our home. And, when she comes with her granddaughters, they remind me you can be playful at any age. Just ask Spike, my dragon gift from those grand children, who brings me much joy.

Spike, the magical dragon
Other friends bring shared passions, like the friend who knocked on doors with me canvassing for Sen. Kay Hagan for the upcoming November election.

Our most recent visitor brought her life force, ideas, even an acronym, an appropriate gift for a former faceless DC bureaucrat. This friend, who co-founded Gross National Happiness, is the proprietor/instigator of The Happiness Paradigm. She positively thinks we can all be happier at the same time we are more mindful and protective of our planet.

During her visit, she spoke about the work of academics who study positive psychology and how to be happier. That led to the acronym gift, courtesy Martin Seligman.

The acronym, which is an abbreviation you can pronounce, is PERMA. P is for positive emotion, E is engagement, R is relationships, M is meaning, and A is accomplishment.

That’s sounds like a good construct for a happy life. Yet, for me, it’s not quite the right fit. Think of an off-the-rack dress versus one that is custom-tailored. That’s probably the point:  To get you thinking about what works for you. Both Seligman and my friend spurred more thoughts about what makes me happy, something I’ve been thinking about a lot since I left the full-time workforce.

Yet, here at the ocean with my husband, waves, spectacular clouds, and perhaps a laughing gull or two, I forego an acronym. I left those behind when I walked out of my last government office.

Here’s what works for me, my personal PERMA. For this retiree, senior citizen, boomer, and whatever other labels apply, happiness includes people and purpose, love and laughter and like the Life is Good t-shirt I just bought at the beachwear store:  Simplify. Those five abbreviate to PPLLS, which is unpronounceable and looks like a shirt size.

For now, PPLLS fits me to a T.





No comments:

Post a Comment