Friday, June 13, 2014

Exercising New Muscles

I relented and got a massage this week. I have a pain in my neck. Seriously, it’s a real pain in my real neck.

As for the source, I can’t tell whether it’s caused by so many previously unused muscles getting a workout from my personal trainer (see “Tale of Two Body Shops,” Nov. 7, 2013) or if it’s stress from the workout my hitherto unknown muscles, or abilities, are getting from my volunteer work, which has expanded to include event planning.

Whatever the cause, while I was getting my neck kneaded and listening to James Taylor (great massage music) I realized how much I had underestimated the work that goes into event planning. I should tell Linda Baranovics and Virginia Krohn how little I realized how much they did to pull off major conferences.

Where are these capable women? Would they like to come to North Carolina and pitch in?

Now, I’ve ghosted speeches for conference speakers and written introductions and remarks for panelists. I’ve publicized meetings before and after the sessions. I even wrote one FAA administrator’s closing remarks while the conference was underway so her comments could reflect the topics and tone of the meeting.

But, planning a conference…that’s a whole other set of skills.

When I sat in my government office daydreaming about retirement, my fantasies were about traveling with my husband to see new places and old friends. Event planning never crossed my mind, but the organization I now head – Democratic Women of Catawba County – is putting on panel discussion on “The NC War on Women: Is it real?” We want women voters in our county to be informed about the issues that are so important to them – educational quality, jobs and wages, and access to health care.

For one, our state legislature declined the expansion of Medicaid offered by the Affordable Care Act.  According to the NC Justice Center, about one-sixth of our county’s residents were eligible for Medicaid last December – up 27 percent since December 2007. More than one-third of our residents are low income and nearly one-fifth live in poverty.

In short, life could be better here. A lot.

What’s an able-bodied retiree to do?

Pitch in.

I knew volunteering would be a part of retirement – one can’t travel all the time and I am blessed with an abundance of energy. I just didn’t know it would involve locating venues and finding speakers.

So, where do you start? First, you need a team. Check. Great women are helping. Next, a location. Check.  Then, you need a moderator. Check, we have an excellent one. And, of course, you need expert speakers – the bigger the name the better.

Wouldn’t it be great to have Sen. Elizabeth Warren speak about economic issues?

Okay, maybe next year when we’re more established. Okay, a girl can dream.

Since I am so new here, I have been like the little bird in the P.D. Eastman children’s book who asks everyone he meets, “Are you my mother?” Instead of asking dogs, cows, and cars, I’m asking everyone whether they are a speaker, know a speaker, or know anyone who might know speakers.

Actually, the quest has been a bit more targeted. There are some really remarkable organizations and helpful people here in the Tar Heel state.

The good news is the speaker slate is coming together. The better news is that our event does not include meals and music.  That degree of difficulty is far in the future.

Can you imagine what my neck would feel like if we were putting on, say, a gala, with awards, speakers, and entertainment?

No, not going there. That would definitely be the time to hit the road and visit my mother.




No comments:

Post a Comment