Sunday, April 13, 2014

Friends and Furrows

I have sleep apnea. That’s not unusual. As I know from my last job (National Transportation SafetyBoard), where fatigue figured into so many deadly crashes and collisions, about 12 percent of Americans have sleep disorders. The disorders are more prevalent among older people.

I have that, too. 

According to the sleep doctor at my last appointment, if I were to lose 10 percent of my body weight I would have an 80 percent chance of saying, “Farewell apnea.” That’s a lot of math, but I’m working on it. Six percent and counting.

Meanwhile, I sleep tethered to a CPAP machine on my nightstand. I’m used to it, but it’s damned inconvenient when traveling – schlepping it, of course – and the machines are so commonplace (we, the  disordered can spot the other CPAP bags on airport security conveyor belts) that the Transportation Security Administration seems convinced our machines are the next new thing in hiding explosives. Yes, it is embarrassing when an agent removes the machine from its case and plugs it in to make sure it works. 

Another thing about machine-assisted slumber is that the CPAP nosepiece straps leave grooves, like furrows in a field, across my face. I look scary enough in the morning. Now I am groovy as well.

When I worked I was self-conscious about my grooves, but the time between awaking, getting ready for work (remember work attire?), and commuting (often a bike ride across the National Mall – glorious!) gave time for the moisture cream to kick in and the cheek furrows to fade. If I drove and my commute was faster, strategically lowered reading glasses worked as well as any concealer.

As I retiree, I can be a recluse until the fullness of time returns my cheeks to normal. But, there’s a big exception, especially with the Carolina springtime when our friends are becoming like swallows returning to Capistrano.

Which is great. I love all the swallows arriving from Maryland and Miami and Michigan.

Houseguests are a joy of retirement. When you work, friendship, if maintained, might be a quick lunch, a phone call (often while driving, shopping, cooking, or folding laundry), hasty emails, “likes” on Facebook, or, when you really plan, a night out.

All good. And, all help maintain vital connections. But, in retirement you have more time and, if you’re lucky, more energy. You can focus on friends. Best yet, you can host them. Then you can be with them and not try to cram all the updates into one exchange.  With houseguests, it’s a conversation, not a quiz.

We’ve got a vegetable garden now. Just as there was a marriage analogy in assembling our IKEA furniture, I’m sure there’s an analogy in our garden for friendship, like paying attention, providing nourishment, and taking time.

It’s more than time with houseguests. It's recapturing the friendship you had when you were young -- before careers and children and responsibilities. You can play. Really play. With many friends that means word games. In my life, I have not played as many games of Bananagrams as I did last weekend.



With visiting friends it’s can be almost like being a child again.  Games. Giggles. Gossip.

Except you have some aches and pains and issues and in the morning it's a furrowed hostess who is making the coffee. That’s right. Nowhere to run. Nowhere to hide. In the bright light of our sunroom, the reading glasses trick is transparent. 


But, it’s okay. Somehow in retirement I seem to be becoming more of the person I really am and not just the young one I frequently tried to project to be world. I am old. And, maybe, just maybe, I am groovy, too.

                                            Simon and Garfunkel, 59th Street Bridge Song

No comments:

Post a Comment